Advantages and Disadvantages of Wind Energy
Advantages of wind energy
- A wind turbine uses less than one acre of land area and the fertilizing power of land is not affected due to it.
- Wind is a powerful source on earth which is renewable and free to use.
- They do not produce greenhouse gases. So, no global warming.
- It creates employment opportunities and many other benefits economically.
- Anyone can use wind turbine for their personal use on their land. Single households in small towns can use this to produce a cheap source of electricity.
- It is environment-friendly.
- Wind turbines require very few maintenances.
Disadvantages of wind energy
- They produce noise pollution. With modern technologies, the level of noise is reducing, but it is still considered as noisy.
- It is not possible to produce the same amount of power all the time due to the change in speed and direction of the wind.
- Due to these fluctuations in electricity, the need for some large electricity storage arises which is not possible after a certain limit.
- Remote locations are suitable for wind power generation. But, transmission lines must be built to bring electricity to the city which increases the total cost.
- The initial cost is high.