Powder metallurgy is a metalworking process. In this process, we compact the metal powder in a die.
Steps Involved in Powder MetallurgyThe process includes the following steps.
- Generation of powder
- Blending or mixing
Powder metallurgy is gaining importance day by day. The components produced in this method can be used in different ways. Below are some examples of it.
- Powder metallurgy is used to create bearing parts. The bearings which are produced by this process are used to support rotating shafts. They are generally manufactured from copper powder and graphite.
- The process can be used to make Gears, sprockets, and rotors.
- Using iron, aluminum, nickel, and cobalt powders small magnets are made.
- The high cost of tooling and other maintenance equipment.
- There is a risk of explosion.
- Health-related problems may arise to the operator due to the fine metal powder being processed.
Powder metallurgy has many advantages when compared with other conventional methods.
- Cost saving process when in mass production.
- We can achieve good dimensional accuracy.
- We can produce magnetic components and also alter its magnetic power.
- The negligible amount of scrap makes this process more advantageous over other.